Friday, May 16, 2008

I *Heart* Greenpoints!

I remember as a kid my Mom collecting those green stamps from Piggly Wiggly. One time she collected so many she was able to redeem them for a nice china set. Well those green stamps are still around but in the form of "green points" at Lowes Foods.

Before I started couponing last Spring, I never really paid attention to the points total listed at the bottom of my receipt. I was vaguely familiar with the concept of the program but didn't really see it's true value. If I would have only known! You can still redeem the points for catalog items. A coworker of mine redeemed his for several watches, a ladder, even a generator. But I use mine for additional savings on groceries!

Each week in the Lowes Foods sales flyer, special green point deals are listed. For instance, I was able to get bananas for .45/lb by redeeming green points. Last week, I redeemed points and got Gain laundry detergent for $2.99. I coupled that with a Gain manufacturer's coupon for .25 off which doubled at Lowes, for a final price of $2.49. And today, I stumbled upon another green points deal while shopping for something else. A FREE can of Lowes Foods tuna for redeeming 830 green points. Perfect, since tuna noodle casserole is on the menu for next week!

Getting green points is easy. Every time you shop, you get more points. And if you use reusable shopping bags, you get 50 additional green points for every bag. I was able to get two free reusable Lowes bags - by redeeming green points of course!

If you're a Lowes Foods shopper, be sure to check your receipt and put those green points to good use! Every little savings counts, especially in these tough times.

Here's how I did today on my little shopping trip. Thanks to the good folks at Savvy Dollar (http://savvydollar.org/forums/index.php) for the tip about the Kikkoman deal!

4 Kikkoman Teriyaki sauces - sale $1.29 ea - .55/1 doubled = .19 ea
1 Lowes Foods canned tuna - FREE w/ greenpoints

Total oop: $0.82
Total savings: $7.49

Received 2 coupons for $2 off my next order!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed. You really do your research! At lowesfoods.mybaby.com we've got monthly contests where you can win 25,000 green points, which I'm sure your readers would love to learn about. Come and talk to us and maybe we can arrange some sort of link trade.