Thursday, May 29, 2008

Gettin' Our Hands Dirty

Over the long weekend, I decided to create a fun, hands-on learning experience for the kids by planting our own container garden of tomatoes, green peppers and sweet basil. In my head, I envisioned a mini science lesson of sorts. Starting out with worksheets about plant growth and the identifying the different parts of the plant. Pretty ambitious for 5, 3 and 1 year olds I know LOL! While it didn't quite work out that way, I think the experience was a lesson in and of itself.


Ashleigh & Clayton filling the pots with soil


Reedy came over to check things out



Poor baby also got a big mosquito bite on his forehead :(



Sampling a little of the soil. It's organic, right?!?




Group shot!




Experiencing one of God's little creatures




Clayton's turn to hold Mr. Earthworm (I have no idea why he's sticking his tongue out! LOL!)



Watering the plants




More silly faces!














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Skip the worksheets. After schooling for 8-9 yrs the best is the observing & pictures. Give the kids a notebook. You might find the older ones drawing in there.
There having fun. Talking about what is happening will bring great speech lessons.
How many times I take pixs for record keeping instead of worksheets. You have proof of the learning.