Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Missing A Friend

It's pretty gloomy out today and that fits the mood of our hearts around the office. We learned this morning that a dear friend and former colleague passed away yesterday afternoon. I worked with her for about three years. In fact, when I returned from maternity leave after having Ashleigh, I stepped into her position as she retired. She was funny and enjoyed life. And was the wise Mother Hen that looked over us in the department. For two years, she fought Stage 4, inoperable lung cancer. I can imagine those words hit like a ton of bricks when she was first diagnosed. But she didn't let it stop her, didn't let those frightening words get her down. She embraced life as she always had, even taking that Alaskan cruise with her husband she dreamed about before she retired. We're glad her suffering is over, but our hearts are very heavy today. She'll be greatly missed.

3 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

hugs, Mary Ellen! I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Mary Ellen.

Still Learning said...

Oh Mary Ellen, I am so sorry. It must have been hard for all of you to hear the news of her passing. She sounds like she was a sweet and wonderful lady to know. So sorry.