Thursday, April 2, 2009

Need A Getaway?

I heart Wrightsville Beach!

Need a mental break from the constant gloom and doom talk?


Go On A News Fast - Take a break from the 24/7 news coverage and turn off the TV.

Start A Gratitude Journal - I've been keeping a gratitude journal since I first read about the idea in Sarah Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance several years ago. Each night write 5 things from the day for which you are grateful. Doesn't have to be anything major. Some nights you might be thankful the day is just over! But it helps to shift our thoughts towards to the blessings we have (big and small) even during stressful times.


Make a List of Your Simple Pleasures - This is another idea from Simple Abundance. Create a list of those small, ordinary parts of life which bring you joy. Sometimes they are so much apart of life that they can be easily overlooked. For me, it's the way Reedy's lips curl when he smiles. Or the feeling I get when I see Dave's car pull into the driveway at night, knowing we are finally all home and safe. Or eating an exquisite piece of chocolate. Writing out the list brings to your awareness the small joys you experience each day.

Focus Outward - Turn your attentions to the needs of others. Charity doesn't just mean large monetary donations or work out in the mission fields. It can begin at home with those who are around you each day, it can be a smile as you walk past a stranger, a held door or a simple thank you.







3 comments:

Still Learning said...

Oh man, that picture of the beach reminded me of Daytona Beach.... I can smell the air....

Great post.

Wendy P said...

That was lovely! I think I will start a gratitude journal. Would it be ok if I link to this post on my blog?

Mary Ellen said...

Sure Wendy :)