Friday, April 17, 2009

Mini-Makeover - Kitchen

Sometimes, you need a change.

There is alot we would change about our circa 1970's house if money were no object. The wood paneling in the family room, the harvest gold master bath, the faded lime green carpeting in the living room. But in the meantime, we're learning to be content with what we have and make small changes as we are able.

A few weekends ago, I decided to do a mini-makeover in the kitchen. Just one small corner. Here you will see our open storage in the kitchen. At the height of my couponing, we decided we needed extra pantry space. So we bought two bookshelves from Target and put them in the kitchen. You'll see it's a bit cluttered with plastic baggies of bulk goods and some boxed items that aren't apart of our diet anymore.

BEFORE


AFTER!



Since our need for extra storage space has decreased (less boxed items, less space needed), I moved one of the bookshelves out of the kitchen. It not only makes the kitchen look more open, but it also makes the space more functional. You can now easily access the light switches and the plugs that were hidden behind the shelves before. And use the cafe table next to the shelf. I also went through and purged any items that contained high fructose corn syrup and/or too many additives.

The top shelf now holds some of the bulk goods in glass containers that I've been buying from the thrift store. For the spices and remaining bulk items I didn't have containers for, I placed them in baskets nabbed from the kids' bedrooms.

Now, I just have to figure out what to do with the wall space above the cafe table. It's screaming for something. I really liked the look of the herb crates in this Lettered Cottage kitchen makeover. Something similar with baskets matching those on the shelf would be cool. Also loved this framed fork idea at The Nesting Place.

One small space at a time, we're crafting a home we love!

3 comments:

Southern Charm said...

Hi Mary Ellen, I love what you did with the bookcase!! You totally have to link up at the Mr.Linky party with that one. What a great transformation. I saw those baskets from the Lettered Cottage too and I wanted them also. She has great taste doesn't she? It looks awesome.

BTW, I have painted over that 70's wood paneling before. I just put some kilz over as a primer and painted right over it and it looked great! Thank goodness paint is relatively cheap & I always look for the reduced paint cans first at Home Depot that were mixed the wrong color.
I'm such a cheapo ha ha.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

WOW! You were a busy mama! The shelves look great. I bet it makes you think better too, right? When things get messy in my pantry, my OCD kicks in, makes me nuts! My kids like to mess with me and turn all my cans backwards and the boxes upside down. Nice little boys aren't they? LOL! Great job, here. Glad you joined Jennifer's party so I could find you! Jennifer and I live close by and have been friends for quite some time now. She's great!

Have a wonderful weekend
~Misti

Unknown said...

What a terrific re-do.