Thursday, April 16, 2009

Nourishing Breakfast - Soaked Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins


As a working mother, week day breakfasts at our home not only have to be wholesome, but also quick since time is precious! Aside from soaked oatmeal and green smoothies, muffins are another week day breakfast staple. Muffins are not only portable for breakfast on the go, but also make great lunch box additions!

One of our favorites is Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins. It's a basic but very versatile muffin recipe. When I've not had fresh or frozen blueberries, I've easily substituted bananas or ground flax seed and on occasion have just made them plain.

Soaked Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

1 1/4c organic rolled oats
1 c whole wheat flour
1/3 c organic sucanat
1 tbsp baking powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 c butter, melted
1 c fresh or frozen organic blueberries

Overnight, soak the rolled oats and whole wheat flour in 1 cup of water with a tablespoon of organic lemon juice added.

If you're new to the Nourishing Traditions methods like I am, you may wonder what the soaked oatmeal and flour are going to look like in the morning. Sort of like muffin paste, but don't worry!

In the morning, add the egg, sucanat, baking powder and melted butter to the soaked oats and flour. After adding these ingredients, I let my batter sit for a minute just to moisten the soaked oat and flour mixture a bit. Blend ingredients together. Slowly fold in 1 cup fresh or frozen organic blueberries.

Fill greased muffin cups and bake at 425 F for 20-25 minutes. Then enjoy!

8 comments:

Meredith said...

This sounds great! I am new to soaking and have been trying to figure out to make my oatmeal raspberry muffins using this method. I think I will start with your recipe!
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My kids would love this! I'm out of blueberries, but I have everything else. What a great idea!

Amanda said...

I like that this is a dairy-free version. I will have to give it a shot - and I am new to soaking...the first time I soaked, when I saw it in the morning, I was sure I'd done something wrong!

~Babychaser~ said...

Now if only I had eggs!

Milkmaid said...

Mary Ellen,
These were so good! I got a Pampered Chef muffin stone for my birthday and wanted to break it in with some healthy muffins. I searched for "soaked oat muffins" and found this post. I didn't have blueberries on hand, so I used bananas. Everyone loved them. Thanks so much!

Mary Ellen said...

Glad you enjoyed them!

Anonymous said...

Could I use maple syrup instead of sucanat?? Thanks!

Mary Ellen said...

Anon - Sure I'd give the maple syrup a try! I've subbed honey for sucanat in other recipes.

Mary Ellen