Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What's Stealing My Peace?

Now it came to pass, as they went, that He entered into a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha received Him into her house.

And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus' feet and heard His Word.


But Martha was encumbered with much serving, and came to Him and said, "Lord, dost Thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? Bid her therefore that she help me."

And Jesus answered and said unto her, "Martha, Martha, thou art anxious and troubled about many things.

But one thing is needful, and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."

Luke 10:38-42

Despite my name, Martha and I are really kindred spirits. Encumbered with much serving, anxious and troubled about many things, yep that's me! Mostly of my own doing (and probably the same for Martha too) from trying to over extend myself or live up to an unrealistic expectation I've created.

Lately I've been thinking about the things which steal my peace and cause me to be anxious and worried. Surprisingly, it's not big things. There's nothing really major going on in my life on a constant basis. Every day is pretty much the same, drama free and relatively stable. It's the small things. The coupons I really needed getting lost in the mail. Having to change my well crafted grocery list mid-shop because the store is out of the milk I want to buy with my coupon. A fussy baby, a phone ringing as I'm completely involved in my evening routine, going through the drive thru then having to park and go inside because they forgot to put buffalo sauce in my bag (really what good are the Arby's popcorn chicken shakers without the buffalo sauce?!?). The TV starting to die. Seeing someone in the office sporting a great outfit and awesome new haircut when I look like I dressed myself in the dark!

All these things, though small and insignificant on their own, seem to accumulate. Their compound effect seems to literally weigh on my shoulders and physically manifest themselves in tightened muscles and constant headaches. How can I have peace if I'm constantly piling on one thing after another?

The answer is simple, yet difficult for me to practice - to cast my cares upon the Lord. All my worries great and small. To simply lay them down at His feet. And to rest in Him. Seeking the greater part and finding a peace which surpasses all understanding. Are you with me Martha?

No comments: