Friday, August 29, 2008

First Day!

Well, we survived the first day of kindergarten -- with most of my sanity still intact! It was quite a wet morning. I knew it was going to be rainy, but I was figuring on some light showers. It was actually a full fledged hurricane! So needless to say, we were all pretty soaked by the time we made it from the parking lot to the building.

Once we arrived to Ashleigh's class, we were happy to see one of her teachers from the Early Start program. We gave Ashleigh a hug and kiss and she went right on with putting her things away. Strictly business as usual. Dave & I kind of stood there waiting for a bit more to-do, but the teachers gently suggested we go. They are really adamant about the parents not lingering. I didn't think we were lingering in a bad way LOL!

The first day was actually an observation/evaluation day. Everything went well except at lunch time one of the teachers told Ashleigh she couldn't bring her organic snack bar to lunch because it was like candy??? So much for my stockpile of free organic snack bars. Last night we went back to find out the final classroom assignment. Ashleigh's teacher is actually the same teacher that evaluated her for the Early Start program. We also had a nice chat with the teacher's aide. She picked up right away that our last name seems Polish but is actually Lithuanian. She even speaks a bit of Lithuanian herself.

I feel really good about the teachers and I know Ashleigh is handling everything just fine. But the whole process brings to mind a saying from one of my favorite shows, "foolishness and mayhem". It's so overwhelming! There's so much to buy (more supplies and now community snack!), so many forms to fill out. But if you fill out a form for one thing, you still have to tell ten other people because the office doesn't communicate things to the teachers. Uggghhh! It all has my stomach in a knot. I felt like I came away with more questions than answers.

I really don't know if I'm ready for kindergarten!

No comments: