Friday, June 20, 2008

A Little Weekend Fun

Last Saturday, Ashleigh & Clayton came into the kitchen with that all too familiar look on their faces. You know, the "Momma I'm Sooooo Bored" look. So we decided to make our own playdough. The Crockpot Lady has a recipe on her site for making playdough in the crockpot. But since her delicious Tamale Pie had already claimed my crockpot, we used this stove top recipe from The Dollar Stretcher.

I'm not a pro when it comes to making any sort of dough in the kitchen, but this was really easy and took no time at all to become dough-like in the pot. As an added bonus, I discovered another use for cream of tartar besides the one recipe I bought it for LOL!

I floured the counter and let it cool down a bit before kneading.





Once it cooled, I separated the dough and let Ashleigh & Clayton knead. Ashleigh really got into kneading hers, Clayton didn't really care to touch his LOL!



For coloring, we used packets of Celestial Seasoning Go Stix (water flavoring packets) I had on hand. The Wild Cherry packet gave Ashleigh's a nice pink color and delicious smell.


Voila! Homemade playdough! We had lots of fun making shapes and letters with it. I thought it had a much better texture than regular store bought playdough and seemed to clean up alot easier. Plus if Heaven forbid Reedy would have eaten some (he didn't btw) I wouldn't have freaked because I know exactly what's in it.
We'll definitely be making this again and trying different colors. It would also make a great frugal birthday gift for kids!

2 comments:

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

Love the pictures! Looks like a nice easy recipe I could do. We'll try that out this summer. Thanks for sharing.
~BB
(found you on moneysavingmom)

RMyers said...

Hello! I thank you for your note of encouragement on my beginning blog. I have added more to it since and hope you will come back. I really have enjoyed looking through years and gleaning ideas and inspirations! Blessings -
Rebecca
fourmyers.blogspot.com