Monday, July 6, 2009

A Touch of Summer


On one of his recent morning runs, Dave came across three boxes of canning jars which someone had put out by the road as free to a good home. Among the regular canning jars were these three beautiful blue jars - two Ball Perfect Mason jars and one Atlas Strong Shoulder jar.

I adore the aqua blue color of the jars. And they are just right for adding a touch of summer to the dining room table.


I filled the jars with decor sand (note to self: use light brown sugar next time, it's cheaper!) and placed a small, white candle inside each jar. I didn't intend on putting anything around the jars, but the kids eagerly jumped in and started placing shells we had collected from previous trips to Wrightsville Beach on the mat. With the help of little hands, I think it turned out just beautiful!

12 comments:

★Carol★ said...

There's nothing like those old blue jars! I love putting flowers in them in the summer. I like what you did with yours: brown sugar and candles. I think the shells are the perfect addition to it. The kids already have a talent for decorating!

Nicole A. said...

Love those blue jars too! And free is even better! Love how you have them displayed! So pretty!

ChesterAndDonkey said...

Free is always good! The jars look very nice ... I really like it!

~Kimberly said...

How fun! Love what you did with the jars!

Sue said...

You and your kids found a nice way to display your jars on the table. An even more economical filler is play sand. As a mom of three, you probably have a sand box, right? From summer to fall, when we entertain outdoors, I fill all of my jars and candle holders w/sand before placing my candles in them. I like to hang some in the trees and on shepherd's crooks, so I wrap wire around the necks of the jars and make a good sized loop for a handle. Makes a great glow and a lot of ambience! :-) Sue

Kelli said...

I love these! Fresh and summery!

Unknown said...

Free is fabulous! Love those old blue jars! The vingette came out lovely!

Thanks for sharing!

Tina

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Awww, so pretty! I too love those aqua Ball jars and found 2 old ones just recently. I'm hanging onto these. Love your display & thanks for joining the party!

Kammy said...

Free is the best ! And so pretty blue !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Caro said...

Ooooh, love those, I would've snagged 'em up too!! Gorgeous, with the way you arranged them especially!!
I wouldnt go with brown sugar though, not with the jars being opened... I could just envision tons and tons of bugs and ants, coming to visit!

Unknown said...

Those jars do make a great summertime centerpiece.

anon said...

Brown sugar will melt. Ask me how I know! Hee hee. I love those jars!! What a beautiful, artistic eye you have! :)