Monday, November 3, 2008

Thoughts of a Black Republican

I'm a Christian. I'm pro-life. I'm a Southerner, born and bred. I'm Black. And I'm a Republican. At times it feels like Condoleezza Rice and I are the only two LOL! Of course, I know that's not true. But it's not really what most people expect, particularly in this election. My family didn't bat an eye when they found out I was marrying someone of another race. Didn't question why I was leaving the Baptist faith to become a Catholic. But to tell them that I'm a bona fide card carrying member of the Republican party?!?

For me, it is simply a matter of life. I believe in the sanctity of life from conception until natural death. It's a conviction that I've held strongly since seeing the ultrasound of our first child. Even though she did not look like a baby at that point, what stood out to me the most was her strong heartbeat. And I knew at that moment, even though this life was housed within my body, it was God-given. That He alone was the author and giver of life. And while no one party fully respresents my beliefs in their entirety, the Republican party is the best fit for the issues I believe in.

But don't think the historic nature of this election is fully lost on me. There was a time that as a Black child if you said you wanted to be President of the United States when you grew up, it was almost like saying you wanted to be Santa Claus LOL! But now it's not only a possibility but a reality. I hope it shows young Black men there is more to aspire to than athletics or entertainment. That you can be intelligent, well spoken, highly educated, professional, mingle amongst a broad spectrum of people and still have a strong self identity (although there is a number of Black conservatives that provide the same example). And Mrs. Obama demonstrates that Black women are beautiful and intelligent, and not the stereotypical image that is sadly often protrayed of us in the media (again, Secretary of State Rice is also a fitting example).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Our beautiful son loves to respond with "I'm a mutt." when people ask him what he is.
First, he's a great kid, caring and a Christian. Second, he's African American, American Indian, Mexican Hispanic with some Mediterran blood mixed in.
He chooses to check off "Other" on those surveys.
I really enjoyed reading your post. Happy Election Day!