Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Container Garden

Pepper plants started from seed

The container garden is finally starting to show signs of growth! The pepper and tomato plants I started from seed are now taking off. Since I started the garden late, the plants still aren't where the should be at this time of year. But maybe we'll see some peppers and tomatoes from these plants by late summer/early fall. I just have to figure out what to do with the 20 some pepper plants I now have. I've come to see that planting EVERY seed in the packet is not the best thing!

Plan B

I was beginning to think that nothing would ever come of my small tomato and pepper transplants. So about a month ago, I invested in Plan B - two, Big Boy tomato plants from the garden center clearance section! With the rain we've had lately, the Plan B's have really shot up and even have a few yellow blossoms coming in!

An Abundance of Basil

We continue to be blessed with an abundance of fresh basil! The basil plants are huge now. In addition to adding the leaves into pasta, pizza and salads, I'm reading up on preserving/drying herbs and making infused oils to make the most of our basil bumper crop.

Potato plants

The potato plants are quietly doing their own thing. I have to admit, I've kind of neglected them lately. With all the rain we've had, I'm assuming they've been getting enough water. A few weeks ago, the plants had purple blossoms. But now, they're a bit wilted and hanging over the trash can. I can't wait to find out if anything is happening beneath the soil!

I think gardening is becoming a new interest of mine. Something I really want to devote more time to learning about instead of my usual trial and error method. I'm currently reading Mel Bartholomew's All New Square Foot Gardening and making plans for next year's garden!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The basil looks delicious! I guess every good gardener started somewhere! Keep on planting!

Unknown said...

I love putting my hands in the dirt.
Great job!

amandalouden said...

I am going to plant potatoes this fall for the first time. With the basil, you can also put into the blender with a little olive oil or broth and blend. Pour into ice cube trays, freeze, then pop into a storage container or bag (in the freezer). use later, perfect for winter soup or sauce.